Double and triple bonds
3-hexene (with a double bond)
- consult tabel IV and VI and find the next data:
- table IV: the inter-atomic distances of covalent bonding types
- table VI: the bonding energies of covalent bondings
- Copy from this tables the information about the bonds: C - C, C = C, C ≡ C;
- Put those data in a diagramme and make a graph.
The x-axes of this graph shows the three bondings and the y-axes shows the distances as well as the energies.
then you get two different graphs in one scheme.
Look well and draw your conclusions.
- Make an estimation of distance and energy of a C ... C bond in the benzene ring.
Is the following statement true?
"In a triple bond, e.g. in acetylene (= ethyne) 2 C-atoms share a total of 6 electrons."
Explain your answer.